Antifreeze Poisoning in Cats
I decided to write a post on antifreeze poisoning in cats due to the fact that I was completely unaware of it until about a month ago. I was scaling through a forum for some research on a cat subject I was writing about when I came across an elderly ladies post that nearly broke my heart.
I’m not going to go into detail but suffice to say it covered an incident involving antifreeze poisoning in cats. I have to be honest I was hit by a little morbid fascination as I had never heard of this before – antifreeze poisoning in cats was a new one on me!
I decided to include this post on our site to highlight the dangers to other pet owners. After all, antifreeze poisoning in cats is a lot more common than you may think.
Ethylene Glycol Poisoning in Cats
This type of poisoning happens when your cat starts licking antifreeze spills off the ground. A cat does not have to ingest a lot of antifreeze to be in trouble – usually about a teaspoon worth will be fatal.
There is a really toxic element in antifreeze which is the problem – it’s called ethylene glycol and unfortunately it can be found in other products to.
What to Look Out For
If your cat starts to drool and then vomit you may be in trouble – this could be the antifreeze causing a stomach irritation. Keep an eye on your cat and if they then seem to be acting a little ‘drunk’ you may want to call the vet.
They may also exhibit a loss of appetite and start drinking a lot of water due to dehydration. This could be a pointer towards kidney failure in the cat – look out for constant urination to.
As I stated above there are other products that are related to antifreeze poisoning in cats. Some cosmetics and cleaning products can contain the troublesome ethylene glycol so check the packaging before purchasing.
I’m also led to believe that antifreeze is not the only dangerous liquid from cars. Certain brake fluid’s can also contain ethylene glycol as well.
Catch it Early
Antifreeze poisoning in cats does not have to be the end of the world if you catch it early on. The more time that passes the more severe the outcome can be so keep an eye out for the symptoms.
Remember – prevention is always the best cure!